Building Families Through Adoption for Over 30 Years

Manassas Property Division Attorney

Protecting What Is Rightfully Yours in Martial Property Division

If you are going through a divorce, you probably have a lot of questions about what is going to happen to your property and financial holdings.

  • How do we divide our family-owned business?
  • How do we divide our personal property and bank accounts?
  • Who gets the house in a divorce?
  • What happens to your retirement savings?
  • How are debts divided?

The answers to these questions depend on a number of factors. An experienced Prince William County lawyer can help you sort out the facts from the fiction, so you can protect what is rightfully yours.

Have you considered mediation as a way to resolve your conflict? Mr. Klima is an experienced family law attorney-mediator who has helped parties resolve their property issues out of court for over 30 years. He would be happy to answer any questions you have about the mediation process.

Planning for Your Future Starts With Marital Property Division

The Manassas law office of Robert H. Klima, PC, has been protecting the rights of individuals going through the asset and debt division process for over 30 years. Focused exclusively on family law, attorney Robert H. Klima can help you come up with a marital property division plan uniquely designed to meet your concerns after your divorce.

With his practice limited to family law, attorney Robert H. Klima understands the challenges you face as you go through your divorce. He has an in-depth understanding of the expectations of Virginia family law courts. He knows how to respond to your concerns while protecting you from excessive legal fees. Mr. Klima is committed to helping you find solutions through commonsense negotiation and litigation.

How Does Marital Property Division Work in Virginia?

Virginia is an equitable distribution state. Marital property and debt are divided according to what is equitable, not necessarily what is equal. The courts look at a number of factors, including the length of marriage and earning capacity of each party, before making a decision. It is important to understand the following distinction:

  • Marital property: This is property that has been acquired by both parties during the length of the marriage. It is considered shared property and it is eligible to be divided.
  • Separate property: This is property acquired by one party before the marriage began, or during the marriage but in the form of a gift, such as an inheritance, and maintained as separate property.

Who Gets the House in a Divorce? Get Answers Today.

If you are getting divorced in Prince William or Fauquier County and are concerned about protecting your assets, Robert H. Klima can help. Call 703-361-5051 or contact the firm online today to schedule a consultation.

Representing families in Prince William and Fauquier counties, including Manassas, Woodbridge, Gainesville, Haymarket, Bristow, Warrenton and surrounding areas.